Naturally sweetened hot chocolate with spices
Hot chocolate goes together with cold nights, a cozy blanket and a good book, Christmas time etc. The store-bought version may be full of sugars and additives, so here is a healthier, nourishing and satisfying version. The spices listed can be omitted or personalized based on your preferences. The use of dates to sweeten this hot chocolate provides many benefits. Dates are a good source of iron, magnesium, fibre, vitamin B6 and potassium.
- A small pot
- Blender with a lid
- Your favourite mug
- 1 cup of preferred milk (dairy or plant-based)
- 3-4 Medjool dates pitted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder unsweetened
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- A pinch of ginger powder and grated nutmeg optional
- Whipped cream dairy or plant-based
- Grated dark chocolate regular or vegan
- 1 cinnamon stick for garnish
- Place the pitted dates in a small bowl and top with about ½ cup of boiling water. Set aside.
- In a small pot, place your milk of choice and heat until small bubbles form on the surface. Remove from heat and carefully pour into your blender.
- Drain the dates and add to the blender. Add the cocoa and spices.
- Start blending on a low and carefully increase speed to allow all ingredients to blend and for the mixture to be smooth.
- Carefully pour into a mug.
- To serve, garnish with whipping cream and a cinnamon stick, top with grated dark chocolate, sprinkle some cinnamon powder.
*This beverage can be made dairy or plant-based. You can increase or decrease the number of dates used to adjust the sweetness to your preference.