Chocolate-Hazelnut Energy Bites
I love chocolate. So if I can have both a nourishing and chocolaty snack - now that’s a bonus! These little bites are definitely my go-to whenever I have these cravings. I keep them in the freezer in a container to grab as a pre- or post-workout snack. Sometimes they just call my name and I just have to answer. Wouldn’t you?
- Food processor or a powerful blender
- 2 small bowls
- 15 Medjool dates pitted
- Some boiling water
- 1.5 cup raw hazelnuts
- ¾ desiccated coconut unsweetened
- ⅓ cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- Place the dates in a heat-proof bowl and carefully cover with boiling water. Allow the dates to soak for about 20 minutes.
- While the dates are soaking, place the raw hazelnuts on a baking tray and bake at 350 F or 180 C for 5 minutes or until hazelnuts are warm to the touch. Carefully remove from the oven and divide hazelnuts into 1 cup and 0.5 cups.
- Place 0.5 cups of hazelnuts in the food processor and process to a meal texture. Place the hazelnut meal in a small bowl and set it aside. No need to clean the food processor container before the next step. Simply place it back on its engine.
- Drain the softened dates discarding the water.
- In the food processor place dates, the remaining whole hazelnuts (1 cup) and the desiccated coconut. Process until a crumbly mixture has formed.
- Add the cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla extract (if using). Blend until a sticky dough-like texture has formed, and most of the mixture is coming together. Stop blending to scrape the sides if needed.
- With a teaspoon, scoop enough mixture to create 1-1.5 inch size balls. Roll the balls in the hazelnut meal.
- Keep bites refrigerated or place in a freezable container to enjoy later.
For additional coating options, roll the balls in a ⅓ cup cocoa powder or desiccated coconut.