Crunchy High-Protein Beancurd Sticks
Crunchy, savoury and a good source of plant protein. That’s a big yes for me. I love these little sticks that I can snack on. They provide me with extra protein and are delicious as is or in a hearty sandwich. Bonus - They are really easy to make!
- Paper towel
- A large pan
- 40 grams dried beancurd sticks
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 3-4 teaspoons cooking oil of choice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- In a small bowl place the paprika, garlic and ginger powder. Mix with a teaspoon until blended. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, place the dried beancurd then cover with hot water. The beancurd will float in the beginning. Once it absorbs the water, it will sink. Allow to soak in hot water for about 30 minutes.
- Pour into a colander and shake a bit to get rid of excess water.
- Place a piece of paper towel on your table and spread the wet beancurd in one layer. With another piece of paper towel tap dry the curds.
- Place the curds in a dry medium bowl and sprinkle the spice mixture over the curds. With two forks toss the curds to allow them to be covered with the spices as evenly as possible.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat and toss the curds in. Add the tablespoon of soy sauce. Mix well.
- Allow the curds to cook on one side for about 2 minutes then turn them over to cook on the other side.
- Increase heat to high and cook the curds until crispy and tiny bubbles form on their skin. About 2 minutes. Turn the curds to fry them on the other side.
- The sticks are ready when they are brown and crispy.
If you do not have smoked paprika, you can use regular paprika and add ¼ teaspoon liquid smoked if you have it at home. If you have none of these, use regular paprika but the smokey flavour gives it this extra deliciousness.