The world’s quickest vegetarian meal
- A medium glass or ceramic mixing bowl
- A large plate or lid to cover the bowl
- A medium-sized pot
- 1 cup dry couscous fine or medium
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 2 cups water boiling
- 1 can organic chickpeas or beans of choice
- 1 jar high-quality, organic pasta sauce, 650 ml
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
- Place the dry couscous in a medium bowl. Add the salt and olive oil. Mix well with a fork until all the couscous turns a bit shiny.
- Add the boiling water, quickly stir with a fork and cover with a large plate, lid or plastic wrap. Bowl must be completely covered. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the pasta sauce into a pot and bring to simmer. Add drained chickpeas or beans and mix. Bring to simmer again. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder if needed, to taste.
- With a fork, fluff the prepared couscous to separate the grains as much as possible.
- To serve, place the desired amount of couscous in a small bowl, top with the prepared sauce.
For a spicier version, replace the pasta sauce with an Indian-style cooking sauce such as Tikka Masala sauce or a prepared sauce for butter chicken (a vegetarian version).